Pay: £22,000-£30,000, DoE
This is an exciting opportunity for a talented pop culture-focused section editor to work with Scribol, one of the fastest-growing publishers on the web.
The successful candidate will be required to oversee all aspects of Scribol’s pop culture- and pop lifestyle-related editorial production while potentially assisting with other topic areas, too.
The role is Bristol-based.
Skills, Attributes and Experience:
• Highly organised and able to maintain a consistently high level of performance while coping with deadlines and ensuring tasks are completed in time
• Excellent general communication skills, both written and verbal, including the ability to liaise with a range of employees, freelancers and new applicants
• Ability to supervise writers and sub-editors, making sure feedback is shared when needed and quality standards are upheld
• Ability to manage and prioritise editorial workflow, including forward planning, scheduling and ensuring staff have tasks sent to them in time
• Astute knowledge of online publishing, with a particular flair for viral content and a keen sense of what inspires and delights readers and keeps them engaged
• Strong creative approach, including the ability to spot compelling ideas, skilfully frame and title stories, and discuss, decide upon and provide direction on articles
• Ability to draw up clear and stimulating briefs and use judgement and research skills to feed back to writers in order to shape articles to their best effect
• Exceptional sub-editing skills, including thorough fact checking, creative copy editing and the ability to put information accurately into one’s own words
• Excellent picture research skills, preferably with some knowledge of image editing tools, and an eye for what makes a great image
• Ability to be involved in and ultimately manage the process of hiring new staff, including setting and marking tests and conducting remote and in-person interviews
• Strong general grounding and experience in the areas of pop culture – especially celebrities but also movies and more – and pop lifestyle
• Knowledge of WordPress and basic HTML
• Familiarity with Excel/Google spreadsheets
• Ideally NCTJ qualified – or with equivalent experience
The Person We’re Looking For:
At Scribol, we value people who have great ideas and who relish a challenge. We value loyalty and hard work, but we also welcome a sense of humour and people who don’t take themselves too seriously.
• You’re an established or aspiring pop culture- and ideally pop lifestyle-geared section editor who’s passionate about producing engaging content for a millennial audience
• You’re self-motivated, solutions-driven and a stickler for quality. You have a “can-do” attitude.
• You’re productive and work fast, but this is coupled with meticulousness, good sense and commercial nous.
• You have a high degree of personal organisation and are able to plan ahead and manage your and others’ time to meet deadlines. You thrive in a fast-paced environment.
• You’re interested in the latest developments in online publishing in general and viral content production in particular.
• You’re a fast learner and respond well to constructive criticism.
• You work well within a team.
Scribol is an online magazine covering an awesome mix of the most bizarre, funny and fascinating news on the planet. Our aim is to entertain and inform readers about extraordinary and compelling things they’ve never seen before. How? With content that surprises and inspires while offering a unique take on what’s going on in the world. In short, we want to make people go “wow!” – and learn something, too.
To Apply go here.